Mint Chevron

Monday, August 1, 2011

Camp Harlow - 6 - High School Camp

It was over a year ago when I was finishing out high school. 
All I can say, I am very thankful that I never have to go back!
It's so nice not to have to deal with all of the immaturity. Don't get me wrong, most of the campers were delightful, but it was interesting dealing with some slight profanity among them, along with LOTS of purple. For those who don't know, purple is when girls (pink) and guys (blue) get too close (much too close), and the result is purple. The funny thing is a lot of the relationships that were creating purple sprouted the first day of camp, like they met and then got together within hours. It was crazy.


Something that really opened my eyes was the fact that among the 280 campers we had, there was so much pain. If there was ever a time for us to love on the campers and show God's love, it was this week. Behind the smiles and laughter, there were children in pain. It was a blessing from God to be able to share the love, grace, and mercy of God to these campers. Although there were some who seemed unwilling to listen, there were many who soaked it in, and it changed their life. 


Riley and I were given the opportunity to lead morning devotionals for the high schoolers. Despite having to wake up an hour before everyone else, it was a real blessing to lead. The worship time, along with reading the word and prayer, made for great times of praise to God. The theme of the week for our devos seemed to be leaning on God in times of trial. I hadn't planned on doing devotions on that, but God really put it on my heart the night before day 1 to switch my plan.  God really knew what he was doing, because I heard from most counselors that their campers really needed to hear what we had to say. It was such a blessing to hear that, because I wasn't sure how they would respond. By the end of the week, I was getting such great feedback, It was incredible. God is so great and he knows exactly what His children need to be filled up.

By the end of the week, we as a staff were so encouraged by the new believers and re-commitments that sprouted up. Many of the new Christians, and even some of the re-commitments were some who seemed unwilling to open up at the beginning of the week. In the end, there were 10 new commitments, and many (probably around 60) re-commitments. Among those, we saw 18 campers, along with a few counselors, baptized. It was such a blessing to be a part of that great experience. 

This week made me lean on God more, as I was stretched in different ways than I have ever experienced. I witnessed God work in mysterious ways. All things I experienced this week made me realize all the more how great God is. 
He sure does take care of His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment